Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Yolandi Vi$$er

Ninja, Yolandi, DJ Hi-Tek




For those who don't know who Yolandi is, she's a member of Die Antwoord (The Answer), a South African Zef rap group that became famous thanks to a magical thing called the internet.


Zef is a trashy and out-of-date style arising from South Africa that Yolandi describes as "associated with people who soup their cars up and rock gold and shit. Zef is you're poor but you're fancy. You're poor but you're sexy, you've got style."

Aside from all the other things that draw me in, from Ninja's strange tattoos or their weird music videos, Yolandi was one of the biggest reasons I started getting into Die Antwoord.

She was actually part of my inspiration for shaving my head a couple months ago; although I didn't do what she did with the bangs, the idea that she is so herself that she would come up with and wear a style as unique as that is brave to say the least.  A lot of people might not be into her ultra short bangs and almost mullet-like layered haircut, not to mention bleached eye brows, but that's what's so great about it. She took having a unique style to another level.

The vulgarity of it all just adds to my love of her. As shocking as it might be seeing her sitting, pants down, on the toilet in their Rich Bitch music video, or topless with mouths for nipples in Enter the Ninja, where else are you going to find that kind of thing? It's weird, it's surprising, and it fits.





 Her whole style inspires me. In a weird way, it reminds me to be myself.





Here's a couple of their music videos, in case anyone's interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment